Weekend Fridge Cleaning Soup
Yes I literally cleaned out the refrigerator! Thus the name Weekend Fridge Cleaning Soup. This turned out to be quite an earthy soup that would be suitable for when (if ever) our Florida summer turns into fall. Which is sometime around Christmas. Ha! But alas, these would have grown green fuzzy things before fall ever got here. I guess I could turn my air conditioner down to 60 degrees and pretend. But that would be an expensive electric bill if I did.
The Scary Fridge
Remember the Mock Egg Salad Recipe I posted earlier? I had some left over chickpeas. Then there was the salad I had earlier last week leaving me with leftover lentil beans. There was also organic baby spinach I bought the weekend before. We all know that at some point spinach can go from pretty green leaves, to some dark sinister looking blob. Yep, it was at the pre-blob stage.
No Ham Flavoring
Earlier this month I did my semi-yearly shopping at one of my favorite sites, Soupsonline.com. I love that they carry the Better than Bullion and Orrington Farms brands. Both of these brands make a variety of vegan meat(less) favorings.
Spices are Your Friend
You can jazz up any recipes with the right spices. After being put on a strict diet of no onions, garlic, or tomatoes (see About Me), I began to experiment with different spices. One of the spices I started using in almost every recipe was tarragon. And yes, I have it listed in this recipe as well.
Newly re-introduced into my cooking is garlic powder, shallots, and paprika. Those are some of the spices you will find in my Weekend Fridge Cleaning Soup.
So let get going with cleaning the fridge.
Number of servings: 3
Serving size: 1 cup (apx)
1 cup lentil beans
1 cup chickpeas (canned or fresh)
4 oz organic baby spinach
2-1/2 cups of water
1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oi)
1 tablespoon of chopped shallot (omit if you suffer from acid reflux)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger)
1/2 tablespoon of vegan ham flavoring (or more depending on your taste)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon tarragon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (omit if you suffer from acid reflux)
salt and pepper to taste (I used more pepper to give it a bit of a bite)
- In a deep sauce pan, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped shallots and saute until tender.
- Add the fresh ginger and spinach. (if using dry ginger add with the other spices)
- While the spinach is wilting, remove 1/3 of the lentil and chickpeas and put in a bowl deep enough for an immersion blender.
- Add the remaining 2/3 cup lentil and chick peas to the sauce pan along with 1-1/2 cups of water.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water to the bowl with the 1/3 cup lentil and chickpeas . Using the immersion blender, blend until the mixture has a creamy texture.
- Add the bean mixture to the saucepan along with the vegan ham flavoring.
- Add the remaining spices and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes on medium heat. If the soup is too thick add more water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.