Mock Egg Salad Made with Chickpeas Recipe
Canned vs Dry Chickpeas
This recipe works with either canned chickpeas or dried chickpeas. The difference is what else is included in your can of beans, like salt, calcium chloride, and disodium EDTA. Not to mention whatever chemical is used to line the can.
Home cooked dry chickpeas allows you to control the amount of salt, if any, is added. And no additional chemicals to keep the beans firm or to promote color retention.
All I did with these dry chickpeas was soak them overnight. The next day, I drained and rinsed them, put them in my 3 quart Instant Pot Duo Nova, pressed the Beans/Chili button and reduced the timer to 20 minutes. I did a natural steam release (left it to release on its own while I made my trip to my local fruit/veggie stand). I can’t tell you how much I love my little Instant Pot!
My recipe includes black salt. No, it really isn’t black. It’s actually Himalayan Black Salt which is also known as kala namak or black lava salt. This salt comes from volcanic mines located in Northern India and Pakistan surrounded by salt lakes. In its natural rock formation, it is brown in color. When the rocks are ground up it becomes a pinkish-grey color.
For vegans, this is the perfect flavor substitute for those who still loves the taste of eggs. (That would be me!) Black salt is also a key source of iron and other minerals.
Number of servings: 4
Serving size: 1/2 cup
2 cups of chickpeas (canned or fresh)
1/2 cup grated raw carrot
1 small celery stalk, diced
1 tablespoon of chopped shallot (omit if you suffer from acid reflux)
1/2 ripe avocado
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 sprig of fresh cilantro (chopped) or 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
dash of paprika
dash of dill weed
pinch of black salt (optional, but it does taste like eggs)
salt and pepper to taste
1 whole wheat pita pocket
- In a bowl, fork mash the chickpeas. Leave some of the chickpeas whole.
- To the bowl, add the grated raw carrots, diced celery, and shallot, (if using). Mix to combine.
- Slice the avocado and add it to the mixture.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, cilantro, paprika, dill weed, and the black salt (if using). Mix to combine. Taste and adjust by adding salt and pepper.
- Slice the whole wheat pita pocket in half and gently open.
- Optionally you can tuck a romaine lettuce leaf inside each half of your pita pocket and then add about 1/4 cup of your mock egg salad mixture to each half.