Broccoli and Mushrooms Stir-fry with Rice Noodles
Most of the time I don’t bother with making a week long menu. I pretty much cook by the seat of my pants. I thought that I had put some mushrooms I purchased at the fruit stand into the freezer. But there they were in the vegetable bin staring at me. Time to put together a quick and easy broccoli and mushrooms stir-fry with rice noodles!
I keep a variety of frozen vegetables in my freezer, so I grabbed my only bag of broccoli florets. Then I grabbed my shallot and ginger root from the fridge. Now to the spice shelf for whatever I thought would enhance the flavor. I had an idea of something along the line of a stir-fry type of dish.
Getting into the Stir-Fry Mood
Last year I found a great deal on copper pots and pans at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet. I cleared out my old pans (Calphalon) and stored them in my garage. Believe me my garage is every handyman’s dream. It is a whopping 670 sq. ft. with built in shelves behind doors. It even has a closet, cabinets, and countertop.
Back to cookware. I had stored a wok type pan and thought that would add to the ambiance of making my stir-fried meal. Note: my wok has been elevated to the same status as my other cooking pans and will not be hidden in the garage again.
What I used to Create My Stir-Fry
In addition to the items shown on my countertop, I forgot to include garlic powder and fresh ginger root in lieu of ground ginger. I break off one of the ginger fingers and use a grater yielding me a nice texture for adding the aromatic flavor of ginger to any dish I make.
So let get started with our stir-fry.
Broccoli and Mushrooms Stir-fry with Rice Noodles Recipe
Number of servings: 4
1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oi)
1 tablespoon of chopped shallot (omit if you suffer from acid reflux)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger)
8 oz cremini mushrooms (baby bella)
1 12 oz package broccoli florets, thawed
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2-1/2 tablespoons nama shoyu or soy sauce
7 oz dry rice noodles
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (omit if you suffer from acid reflux)
salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the rice noodles according to package directions.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped shallots and saute until tender.
- Add the fresh ginger and mushrooms and stir-fry for approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir-fry for an additional 6-8 minutes depending on how crisp you want the florets.
- In a cup or small bowl, add the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the water. Stir to remove any lumps and add to the wok coating the broccoli and mushrooms.
- Add the nama shoyu or soy sauce and garlic power (if using).
- Add the remaining water and stir until the liquid becomes thick. Add additional water if the broccoli and mushrooms are too thick.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Add 1/4 of the rice noodles to a bowl and ladle 1/4 of the broccoli mushroom stir-fry on top.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Microwave to reheat.